A collection of thoughts and works by D.C. Franklin and M.N. Shiplet. Read, reflect, storm away in rage.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Am I a writer?

Last Wednesday morning before U.S History, several of my pupils were carrying on about the most recent Nicholas Sparks novel. As always trying to appear as respectable as possible in front of my students, I disinterestedly made my way to their desks to determine if they would make any comments that might lend themselves to an education quip. Student One remarked, I love Nicholas Sparks. Noticing my approach, I mean I love his writing. I don’t really know much about him. Good, I said. Most writers are jerks. They are self-centered and rarely live up to the wisdom they attempt to deliver. In comes Student Two. Well Mr. F, are you a jerk? Sometimes I am. However your question is untimely as I am not a writer, but someone who merely wishes to be a writer, a career even less lucrative, with equal potential for self-destruction and a greater degree of anonymity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment